The membership of AAHP came together on March 8 for the association’s semiannual Membership Meeting. Taking place during Natural Products Expo West in Anaheim, Calif., AAHP members convened to hear updates on projects and initiatives, network, and elect new leadership before hitting the tradeshow floor.
Three-Pronged Strategic Approach for 2019
AAHP president Mark Land kicked off the meeting by recapping 2018 accomplishments and illuminating a path forward. Land discussed AAHP’s three-pronged plan for 2019, which includes:
- Educating Members: specifically through the upcoming Quality and Safety Summit, June 27 & 28 in Baltimore;
- Outreach: continuing successful grassroots efforts that began in 2018; and
- Advocacy: carrying out targeted Capitol Hill and FDA meetings to build positive relationships with key officials.
In regard to advocacy, AAHP has made great efforts and will continue to do so in 2019. Land commented that “[AAHP’s] actions and accomplishments have ushered in a new environment away from confrontational communication towards practical engagement with regulators. The framework of engagement with regulators rests on compliance among our members.”
Committees: Moving AAHP Forward
AAHP’s many active committees keep momentum going in the association. This is where the work really gets done. Committee representatives reported on progress during the Anaheim meeting:
- The Legal and Regulatory Committee updated the group on items like the FDA draft guidance, monograph reform, FTC labeling disclaimer work, and new congressional dynamics.
- The Education Committee shared info on upcoming initiatives like the Quality and Safety Summit and the 2019 schedule of webinars.
- The Business Development Committee reported on efforts to recruit new members.
- The Communications Committee reviewed newsletter, social media, and various marketing efforts.
Electing New Leadership
The Board of Directors oversees the direction and management of the association. During the semiannual meeting, AAHP elected the following five individuals to the Board:
- Tim Clarot, Matrixx Initiatives, Inc.
- Guillaume Lois, OLLOIS
- Mark S. Phillips, Standard Homeopathic Company
- Mark Land, Boiron USA
- Travis Borchardt, Nature’s Way Brands
AAHP’s next Membership Meeting will take place this fall in Baltimore in conjunction with Natural Products Expo East. All members—and those interested in membership—are encouraged to attend!